No more of this blocking of senate business without a reason. This way you can say your peace, and let people know exactly why you’re against whatever is currently on the floor. And maybe sway some minds.
I’ll post more about this later when I am home and am done running.
Update post run and post dinner
Like I gave originally said, I don’t agree with Rand Paul, nor do I particularly care for him. He isn’t my senator, my senators would be Dianne Feinstein, and Barbra Boxer. Two women, who I don’t know to much about, other then they have been senators for damn near 20 years, are both Jewish (like me), and pretty die hard liberals. I think I know more about Rand Paul, then them. I also don’t think they would what he did earlier today.
There were parts I agree with, like that the President should not be authorizing attacks on its citizens on its own soil. No one man, should be judge, jury and executioner. It’s pretty chilling to think that would happen without due process. And he was perfectly correct, right and just to filibuster the way he did. That’s I believe is what the filibuster is for
Personally, I do find it particularly hypocritical because if it was a President he supported, I have serious doubts that he would be as opposed, or as vocal about his opposition. The Patriot Act and TSA are perfect examples of Republican hypocrisy. When it was Bush’s baby they screamed about how this invasion of our civil liberties would protect us from terrorist. How we need create the brand new Cabinet level Department of Homeland Security (my first thought was is this the KGB?). Now that Obama is in charge of this Department, the TSA and the Patriot Act, they are against them? WTF jackasses? Whatever, that’s not the point of this
My point is this, Rand Paul took to the Senate floor today to filibuster John Brennan’s nomination as the new Director of the CIA, because of the recent memo from the Justice Department justifying Drone strikes against US citizens on US soil. I think he is an arrogant, spoiled asshole with a sense of entitlement, who’s never had to actually work hard a day in his life. And yet he still feels that someone who flips a burger is beneath him. I also agree with him on this point, and what he did today made me feel a sense of pride for my country and the political party that I used to once belong.
- WATCH LIVE: Sen. Rand Paul Filibusters CIA Director John Brennan’s Nomination (mediaite.com)
- Rand Paul Filibusters Brennan Nomination (thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Live Blog: Rand Paul’s Talking Filibuster of John Brennan (dprogram.net)
- Durbin Says Filibuster Reform Should Be Revived (politicalwire.com)
- Rand Paul’s filibuster in historical terms (constitutioncenter.org)
- Rand Paul Breaks Three Hour Mark on Filibuster of Brennan Nomination (reason.com)
- So it turns out a talking filibuster is actually pretty darn good idea after all (dailykos.com)
- RAND PAUL Filibusters Nomination of Brennan on Senate Floor (Live Feed) (thegatewaypundit.com)
- USA TODAY: “Parts of official Washington are transfixed by Sen. Rand Paul’s filibuster of John Brenn… (pjmedia.com)
- Rand Paul filibusters John Brennan – old school (conservativeread.com)